Chipotle’s lastest illness outbreak is threatening to derail its nascent recovery from the 2015 E. coli outbreak that devastated sales.
The company said this week that it closed a restaurant for two days after customers who ate there contracted norovirus, an illness that causes vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and other symptoms. More than 130 people have reported getting sick after eating at the restaurant.
The outbreak was confined to a single restaurant in Sterling, Virginia, and Chipotle has said it’s now safe to eat there.
But it’s renewing peoples’ fears about eating at Chipotle — something the company has been battling to overcome since the E. coli outbreak that involved restaurants in 14 states two years ago.
As a result, Nomura Instinet analyst Mark Kalinowski lowered…