Everyone loves a good party! And where there’s a party, there’s usually a need for party supplies — plates, cups, napkins, as well as decorations galore. That’s where you, dear reader, come in.
If you’re looking for an easy way to source wholesale party supplies to resell for a profit, this post will help you find exactly what you’re looking for. We’ll cover:
Why sell party supplies online?
The main reason to sell party supplies is that people always need them, and so people are always buying them. There have been some truly inspiring success stories when it comes to selling party supplies.
Consider Jennifer and Adam’s story. They started a business selling party supplies that are hard to find or no longer available in major stores. They buy bulk wholesale goods at a low cost, and sell them for much more. One product cost them around 10 cents per item, and they were able to sell them for 15 to 20 dollars. It’s no wonder it only took them 6 months build up sales exceeding $6,000 per month, and within two and a half years, they were up to $40,000 a month and counting.
Then there’s Polly Liu with her 8-figure income from selling party favors. She started by selling wedding favors, quickly expanded to bridal shower favors, and now offers a whole range of party favors, supplies and gifts. Mich & Nadine started a business tackling the superhero party niche, and when they got their first sale, they said “…making $10 dollars from your own work beats making $100 from a regular job working for someone else.” Since then they’ve built a satisfied customer base.
So, what are the pros and cons of selling party supplies?
- People have birthdays and parties all year round, every year, so there will always be customers wanting to buy these products. This means you don’t have to worry about a seasonal slump in sales or a loss of interest over time.
- They’re small and lightweight, making them easy to store and cheap to ship. Ultimately, this allows for better profit margins, because you’re not spending as much on shipping or storage costs.
- There are various niches to choose from, so you can target a specific market, such as children’s parties, milestone birthdays, or engagement parties etc… This means you can focus your marketing on specific buyers, who will then see your products as tailored to their needs, making them more likely to buy.
- They tend to be fairly cheap, so it’s a low-cost low-risk option. Lower cost also means you’ll sell in higher volumes, which is a great way to get more customer feedback and improve your business.
- Seasonal holiday supplies, i.e. Christmas decorations, are only profitable in the time leading up to that holiday. Luckily, there are many holidays to choose from, so you can get around this issue by targeting a few different ones throughout the year.
- Because they’re cheap, you have to sell large volumes before you make a decent profit. A great solution to this is to sell bundles of items that go together. These are win-win; the customer gets everything they need, and you sell multiple items in one sale.
- It can be hard to stand out from other sellers, especially if they have similar stock. Once again, bundles are a great solution, as you can offer unique sets of products to stand out from other sellers. Targeting a niche market also helps, as well as using a variety of marketing strategies.
Let’s take a closer look at how you can make your own income from the party supplies market…
What types of party supplies should I sell?
Before you can find a wholesale supplier, you need to decide what types of party supplies you want to sell.
Why it’s important to find a niche market
Did you notice what all the success stories above had in common? The answer is: a specific niche market. For Jennifer and Adam, it was rare party supplies. For Polly Liu, it started as wedding favors, and Mich and Nadine took on superhero parties.
Having a specific niche allows you to target specific buyers much more closely. If your selection of products is too broad, it’s much harder to understand who your buyers are, what they really want, and how to get your products in front of them.
What types of parties do you want to supply?
“Party supplies” is such a broad category. Different parties need different types of supplies. Here’s a list of some of parties you might consider when deciding on your niche:
- Birthday parties
- Sweet 16
- 21st birthday
- 50th birthday
- Wedding receptions
- Bachelor/Bachelorette parties
- Baby showers
- Anniversary parties
- Graduation parties
- Holiday-specific parties
- New Year’s
Note: Consider the seasonality of your niche, especially in regards to the holiday-specific parties. For example, check out this comparison of different holidays and “Birthday” in Google Trends.
Holidays have the more searches than birthday when it’s their time of year, but for the rest of the year it drops away. Birthday searches may never spike like that, but there’s a steady interest year-round. This “evergreen” nature of birthdays is often good for business.
This doesn’t mean you can’t specialize in holiday-specific party supplies, but if you do, you may want to consider targeting different holidays at different times of year. Or you could have an alternative niche that you focus on during off-season time.
What types of party supplies do you want to sell?
It’s also good to think about the types of party supplies you want to stock. There really is a huge array of possibilities. Some of your main category options include:
There are many ways to build a niche. For example, rather than specializing in one type of party, you could specialize in party games for all different kinds of parties.
Tip: Make party bundles
A really effective strategy for selling party supplies is to sell bundles of items that would commonly be bought at the same time, or would be needed for the same type of party.
The benefit for the buyer is that they can get everything they need at once without having to hunt down each individual item. The benefit for you is that you sell a bunch of items at once, plus you have a unique offer that stands out from competitor’s products. You can read a little more about bundling here.
How can I figure out which products will sell well?
When you have an idea of the type of party-supply niche you’d like to get into, it pays to do a little market research to see what people like to buy.
- Check out customer comments on party supplies on Amazon
One of the great things about Amazon is the customer reviews at the bottom of each product page. There are often a lot of clues there about what customers are looking for.
Head to Amazon and try searching with your niche phrases or the types of products you’re considering selling. If I wanted to sell bachelorette party supplies, for example, I might try “bachelorette party” or “bachelorette party decorations” or “bachelorette party games.”
Look at what people are saying they like about products, but also what they’re disappointed by or what they’re left wanting. If there are common themes to the complaints, can you find and supply a product that alleviates the issue?
If you want to sell general party supplies or supplies for kids’ parties, you can also check out the latest top-selling party supplies in Amazon Best Sellers. You’ll find “Party Supplies” under the “Toys & Games” category. We know these products are selling successfully, so look for any trends and use them for inspiration.
- Search for sold party supplies on eBay
One way to see what’s selling is as simple as using eBay Advanced Search to search for sold items. Again, enter your niche words, for example as “wedding party supplies” and see what products come up.
Are there any trends in the types of products that have been selling? Are there a lot of lights? Or maybe ribbon or table decorations? Are there popular colors or styles that seem to come up often? This can help you decide what to stock.
How to buy wholesale party supplies online
Now that you know what you should be looking for in terms of variety, we’ll quickly cover a few quick wholesale buying tips that you really need to know, and then we’ll launch into supplier options.
What do I need to know about buying wholesale party supplies?
One of the issues with buying wholesale are the scams that can catch you out if you’re…